PHOTOGRAPHY 01


As much as I love fashion and outfit posts, there can only be so many "hey guys, look at me in this skirt from so and so blah blah" posts in a week before I 
make myself wanna hurl. Just jks, though not really. I am a photographer first and most importantly, and I wanna make that more of a feature on here. That said, 
I'v been thinking of some new stuff I could do around here lately, something that could become a regular feature, and I think I'l start it off with some 
photography tip kinda posts, in a category roughly titled "blogging stuff" so I can speak about other stuff if I feel like it too. 
Photography is , in my opinion, one of the most important factors when it comes to blogging. I'v definitely received the most emails about this 
topic and so I thought it might go down well, and I think my next one will be about editing photo's.  If you guys have any requests please 
let me know and I'l hopefully get around to answering everything, here are a few pointers that have helped me get the pics I'm taking:

Play around with your settings
I'v noticed lot of people who don't regularly take photo's tend to keep their camera on the auto setting, and I get that it's easy and that it may 
be a bit daunting to fiddle around with the settings but you really should. Personally, I'd recommend setting it to manual, putting the aperture 
down to the lowest it can go (I'l chat more about this now) and adjusting the shutter speed accordingly. 

 Shoot in RAW
I can't stress the importance of this enough! I know it's a mission, and a lot of people shrug it off, but if you're serious about getting pictures 
rich in colour and depth then you should really do this. Also, things like white balance can be played with in case you forgot to set that in camera. 
Tiny details that you may not have been focusing on whilst shooting, can be corrected in RAW, and it's the tiny details that matter when getting 
a good image, so I never go without RAW.

The importance of aperture 
Personally, I like it when my images have a bit of blur, the more the merrier really. 
Setting your aperture (or f-number) to a lower number is what achieves this effect, and this is where investing in a good lens makes all the difference. 
If you're using a kit lens (the lens that came with your camera) chances are your not going to be able to get your aperture really low, I'm talking 2.8 and below. 
I shoot all of my outfit posts with a 50mm 1.4 lens, usually set on 1.4, and that's how I achieve a blurred background. If you have some cash I'd 
definitely recommend investing in a fixed lens, the 85mm and 35mm are good options too as I have some issues with the 50mm purely because it seems 
to have become the fashion blogger go-to, regardless, it's a fantastic lensYou also may want to get some practice in with manual focus as it is extremely 
soft focus and often things will be blurry on screen and look focused on camera!

Confidence
I'm not talking about being confident when using a camera, I mean in front of the camera. It's taken me ages to get to a place where I'm comfortable with 
having pictures taken of me, I used to be incredibly shy about this whole blogging thing and literally didn't tell a single friend or person I knew 
about it until just a few months ago. But that isn't the point, the point is - in order to take nice pics, amongst many things, you need to be able to 
be comfortable in front of the camera. Walking around, being silly and "natural" in pictures, these are some characteristics of my favorite bloggers! 
I'm definitely still learning and am often still very stiff in front of the camera because it's just something that takes a lot of practice if you're a bit 
on the shy side, but it's definitely something to work on to get the best pics you can.

Location
I drive Jedd crazy making him drive me around on weekends location scouting! Your city is always going to have pretty little alleyways, beautiful tree's, 
interesting wall art, or something pretty somewhere, you just need to get out and find it. I find that I am way more drawn to an outfit when the 
location and background compliment it! 

Style
Try to maintain a style of photography that suits you, as I find it definitely becomes a defining feature of your blog. Visit all your favorite blogs 
and study their pics, ask yourself what makes them unique to the blogger. I really think it's important to form a style and consistency with your pics, 
so if you managed to take some rad pics against an awesome background in your previous post, don't make your next one in a badly lit room with 
your junk lying everywhere. Maintaining quality is what keeps people interested. (sheesh I sound like I have the biggest head!! Seriously, I'm not 
trying to imply that I know the secret to keeping people interested AT ALL, these are just things that keep me going back to my favorite blogs )

Light
Natural light is my best friend. Try it, it has so much to offer and adds so much to my images! You just need to figure out what look you're going for, 
and then work out what time works best for the mood you want to portray in your pics and make sure to shoot at that time. I often get mails 
from people saying they're trying to create the same feel as my pictures, but when I look at them they've been shot in direct harsh sunlight. I 
shoot the majority of my pics in shade or just as the suns going down because I personally love images with softer light and tones. 

Editing
Tune in next week folks :)

I really hope this stuff comes in useful to some of you! If it's boring and you know all this already, tell me, I promise to get my shiz together and hopefully teach you something new next time! 

Also, I'm typing this whilst listening to Home by good old Edward Sharpe and it just never seems to gets old x

20 comments:

  1. Really good tips! And some of these are so simple and make a BIG difference. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips, photography can really make or break a blog x

    Charlotte / coloursandcarousels

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really looking forward to the editing tips!

    Kate from Clear the Way

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tips. I love your photography! Definitely one of the blogs I look for inspiration :) Looking forward to the editing segment

    Mili from call me, Maeby

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tips! And your photography is quite inspirational. Definitely can't wait for the editing tips! :D

    -Alicia
    Neon Fox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely tips! Your photos are beautiful and I always spend time admiring your photos.
    Looking forward to the rest of these posts. xx

    Celina | The Celution

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the advices :)



    Http://Fashioneiric.blogspot.com

    Coline ♡

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice tips! Actually I didn't know much about RAW and never really bothered to use it. Guess i should try now, thanks for the info! :)
    http://mindsrunninginreverse.blogspot.fi/

    ReplyDelete
  9. such a good post thankyou :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

    http://www.stefanystrange.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. This post is so helpful! Great tips! Thanks Amy! :)

    http://ciaoysabella.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is really useful, thank you Amy :) I'll be coming back to check on your editing tips!
    Amy xx
    -A Little Boat Sailing-

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been following you for a really long time and I love how your blog is evolving. It never looses interest and is consistently beautiful and inspiring (so yes, I am pumped I get to hear your tips!). I'll admit, I can be lazy and stay in Av but still manually focus but you're inspiring me to go back to Manual and just get used to it...and to practice my focus. I definitely have that problem where it looks fine and then I put it on the computer and it's a blurry mess. Plus my lens works fine except it won't auto focus so I don't have much choice but to learn fast. Thanks for all the advice Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really helpfull tips, thanks amy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great tips! Particularly the RAW shooting and aperture tips for me :) Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you A LOT! I never shot in RAW because I was too lazy, but since I started again last week things chanced, I rever realized how much you can improve a picture afterwards!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great tips!! I'm in love with your blog <3
    Kisses

    ReplyDelete